Given the large volume of data collected, the pooling of results will allow statistically rigorous outputs to be combined with practitioners’ knowledge and expertise to form a transparent evidence base. We acknowledge that confidentially issues can prohibit information being made publicly available, Ecobat therefore offers a range of data sharing options:
Do not publish: Data will be securely stored and only used to improve Ecobat algorithms. Data will not be shared with any external organisations or be visible to any other users.
Blur records to 10km: Data will be shared with the National Biodiversity Network’s (NBN) ‘Consultant Portal’ and Local Biological Records Centres at a 10km resolution. The precise locational data will be securely stored by Ecobat and only used to improve Ecobat algorithms.
Public: Data will be shared with the National Biodiversity Network and Local Biological Records Centres at full resolution.
Data imported to Ecobat are stored on the Indicia data warehouse, hosted by the Centre for Ecology & Hydrology where the security of the server is governed by the NERC security policy; servers are backed up nightly and firewalls are in place to ensure data security.
Ecobat may be used for commercial purposes and is freely available to all. By depositing data you are agreeing for it to be used in this way.
Freedom of Information
As an independent charity, the Mammal Society is not subject to Freedom of Information requests.
Terms and Conditions
Ecobat Terms and Conditions of Use
By using this website, you agree to these Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree, please do not use the site.
- When you use this website, you upload bat acoustic data. By putting this information on the site, you are saying that:
(a) the content is yours, or you have the permission of the owner for this usage, and
(b) you agree that the content can be used on this site, and
(c) you agree that your data can be used for commercial purposes, and
(d) you agree that the anonymous data can be analysed to further bat conservation and improve the underlying algorithms of this tool.
- Bat detections collected through this site will be stored securely at the Biological Records Centre.
- Having submitted a record to this site, please do not submit it to other organisations or online recording schemes. It will be made available to local records centres, conservation organisations, natural history societies and others with a legitimate interest in the data via the NBN Gateway.
- Your contact details will be held in a database at the Biological Records Centre and will only be used to contact you if there is a query about the verification of your wildlife observations.
- Your contact details will not be passed on to any third parties without your permission.
- Your name will be stored as part of the record and may be made publicly available via the NBN Gateway along with the species name, date and location of the record, unless you have opted for your data to be private.